Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Eating out in Freo: Courtyards II

I'm searching out Freo's alfresco dining and this week I'm checking out courtyards. Next up and another of Freo's courtyard studs is Moore & Moore Cafe in the heart of the West End on Henry Street.
Moore & Moore Cafe
Over our years in Freo, my wife and I have developed a much-treasured routine, which we repeat at least once each weekend: sometime after 10am I will put on my full face crash helmet and endure the minor scuffle it takes to rouse her from her sleep-in, and then dress my wounds before we stroll down to Moore & Moore, our favourite Freo cafe.
I doubt there's much I can tell any Freo local about Moore & Moore that they haven't already experienced for themselves.  Run by Simon (who is incidentally a top bloke), it's a slice of the best of Melbourne with the addition of a distinctly Freo vibe.  The building alone is pretty special, and the interior manages to be quirky without trying too hard, as well as comfortable.
The menu is perfect for breakfast or a light lunch, while a slice of the rhubarb raspberry tart for afternoon tea is hard to beat.  The coffee is some of the best in Freo, although my wife and I will more often opt for a pot of the chai (which is made with fresh grated ginger and cardamon pods and is really delicious) or, in summer, one of the iced teas.
The courtyard at the rear is a great place to lose an hour or two with a Moore's Rooibos iced tea and a good friend in fine weather.  Being enclosed on all sides gives it a secret garden-esque feel, particularly towards the back where the greenery cools things down.
Regular readers of this blog (hi Mum) might remember that Moore & Moore represents the single time I've been able to earn some cred for my taste in, well, anything, from my cool, ex-Melbourne, current-Mt Lawley friend.  It was the courtyard that won him over, and it's now my top spot for showing off the best of Freo to anyone new.
The Moores Building, 46 Henry Street. Open daily for breakfast and lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment